Walking indoors is obviously not as interesting as walking outdoors. However, it's more convenient and more time/space-saving. A small under-desk treadmill is a great appliance for you to walk at home and office.
Here are the best small under desk treadmills you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill
- Most Compact: Rebel Treadmill 1000 Under Desk Treadmill
- Premium Choice: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk
|Top 3 Best Small Under Desk Treadmills|
|Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill||Read Our Review|
Compact & Lightweight
|Rebel Treadmill 1000 Under Desk Treadmill||Read Our Review|
|LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk||Read Our Review|
Small Under Desk Treadmill: Top 3 Picks
When it comes to an under-desk treadmill, the most important criterion is convenience. It should have a small footprint that fits perfectly under a desk.
It might not need a very strong motor or an advanced shock absorption system because an under desk treadmill is not designed for intense workouts.
Because it's a home/office treadmill, it needs to be quiet while operating in order not to disturb others. The surface of the treadmill also should not be overheat after long hours of walking.
Best Overall: Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill
- Long walking belt
- Lower price than other under-desk treadmills
- High speed for a walking treadmill
- Not suitable for running
- Very basic console
Under Desk Treadmills tend to have a high price, however, Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill has a really good price for its high-quality build. This is the best small under-desk treadmill for office & home use under $500.
Despite the low price, the treadmill is reliable. It stays firmly when you walking on it. The long walking belt and the simple safety key will prevent you from stepping off the treadmill.
The treadmill has a high speed, up to 4 MPH with 0.5 MPH increments. But, it's not suitable for running as the absorbing system is not so effective.
The console is pretty basic. It lets you adjust the speed and observe some main indicators - time, speed, steps, distance, calories burned. There are no special features on this treadmill.
65"L x 25"W x 8"H
53"L x 18"W
0 - 4 mph
Max. User Weight
Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill is enough for basic home/office uses.
Most Compact: Rebel Treadmill 1000 Under Desk Treadmill
- Small footprint
- Low speed even for walking
- Not so stable and reliable
- Very basic console
Rebel Treadmill 1000 cost slightly higher than Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill. However, for me, it's far from better than the Titan's one.
The build is not so sturdy, which makes the bike not so stable and reliable. I think they sacrifice it for the mobility - Rebel Treadmill 1000 would be the most compact and lightweight treadmill available. It also looks nice in a slim and metallic-silver appearance.
The maximum speed of Rebel Treadmill 1000 is not so high - 2 MPH. The console is also basic, that has no special feature.
63″ L x 24″ W x 7.5″H
49.6”L x 18.1”W
0 - 2 mph
Max. User Weight
If you value the compact size and the good-looking appearance, Rebel Treadmill 1000 is the one for you.
Premium Choice: LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk
- Wide walking belt
- High weight capacity
- Suitable for running
- Advanced shock absorbing system and console
- Large footprint
- High price
If you have a big budget, I strongly recommend the LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 Treadmill Desk.
This above $1000 desk treadmill has a wide walking belt, which is comfortable for most users. The build is high-class with a 2.25 HP motor and a sturdy frame, making the bike really reliable. It has a high weight capacity of 350 lbs and a smooth, quiet operation.
You can run on LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 without any damage on your feet, knees, hips, and back thanks to the advanced 6 impact-reducing compression shock.
The console LCD display has LED backlight for users to monitor steps taken, walking time, calories burned, distance traveled and walking belt speed.
There's also safety key on the console that will stop the treadmill immediately when users accidentally slip off. The special feature on LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 is the cloud connecting ability that allows users to save their workout progress.
68.5" D x 38" W
18" W x 45" L
2.25 HP Continuous Duty Motor
0.4 - 4.0 MPH
Max. User Weight
Cloud connecting ability
LifeSpan TR1200-DT5 is the best under-desk treadmill for office & home use for the money.
How To Choose A Good Small Under Desk Treadmill?
There are a lot of under-desk treadmills out there, so to choose the best fit one for you. You might want to consider these things:
- Appropriate dimensions: An under-desk treadmill should sit fitly under your standing working desk. It’s not only about the footprint must be small enough, but also the step-up height must be high enough for you to reach the table comfortably.
- Build quality & Weight capacity: A bad build leads to an unsmooth operation that’s bad for your back and knees. If the treadmill does not support your weight, the motor might stop in the middle of your workout, you might fell off.
- Quiet operation: You won’t want your workouts to disturb others, especially when you're at home or at work. So it's important that your treadmill is quiet.
- Safety key: When you're focusing on your work, it’s easy to slip off the treadmill. A safety key that stops the treadmill when you’re too far from the console is a necessary feature.
- Special features: Normal treadmill desks don't have features like saving your workout metrics, or heart rate sensors. If you want these features, you have to look for a higher class treadmill desks.
- Warranty program, and customer service: You don't want to get involved in troubles after purchasing the treadmill desk. So, choosing the trusted brand is important. Below are my recommended brands.
Which Brand Makes The Best Under Desk Treadmills?
There are many brands that make under-desk treadmills. I can’t review all of those. However, as far as I know, here are my top 3 brands that provide best small under desk treadmills for office & home use:
- Titan is an American distributor that headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee. The company was started over 10 years ago and now has become a top 500 internet retailer.
- The company owns several brands, Titan Attachments that provides farm attachments, Titan Ramps that provides ramps of all kinds, Titan Great Outdoors that provides camping and picnic accessories, and especially Titan Fitness that provides Fitness equipment.
- Titan is famous for their good but affordable products. In terms of under-desk treadmills, they has an only model - Titan Under Desk Walking Treadmill. This treadmill desk for me is the best overall choice or the money.
- Kathleen, the founder of Rebel, was an office staff. After years of sitting while working, she realized that sitting is really killing people. In 2012, she decided to design a treadmill desk and made it commercial.
- This is a single-product brand. The under-desk treadmill is not so great, however, still a decent one at a reasonable price and has a good appearance.
- LifeSpan is another American Fitness company that was founded in 2001 as a Fitness equipment manufacturer and distributor.
- At present, they has a wide ecosystem of fitness provider, workplace equipment provider, and one-stop shop, which are all aim at inspiring fitness and wellness as a way of everyday life.
- Their craft-making under-desk treadmills may not the affordable ones, but surely the best ones. LifeSpan has earned a great reputation from consumers and industry experts. Especially for TR line of product: TR1200-DT3, TR5000-DT3 and TR800-DT3.
How can I exercise at my desk?
An under-desk treadmill is great for exercising at desk. Just put a desk treadmill under a standing desk, you are ready to go.
However, if there are some reasons that you cannot have a treadmill, here are some tips for you to stay healthy:
- Stop looking at the screen every 30 minutes for 2 - 3 minutes. Massage your eyes or look at something far away.
- Sitting in the chair, straighten one leg for 10 seconds, the switch leg. Repeat for 3 times.
- Grip the chair arms by both hands, slowly lift your bottom off the chair, slowly lower it down. Repeat for 5 - 10 times.
- Sitting in the chair, stretch both arms over your head, keep the posture for 10 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
How much do treadmill desks cost?
You can get a treadmill desk from $500 up to several thousand dollars. However, $500 - $1000 would be enough for home/office use.
What is the best treadmill desk?
There is a wide range of treadmill desk models, each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
For me, if you want a budget treadmill desk, take a look at the Titan Fitness Under Desk Walking Treadmill.
If you want a premium treadmill desk, you should go for the LifeSpan TR1200-DT3 Under Desk Treadmill.
How fast do you walk on a treadmill desk?
Generally, the slowest speed on most treadmill desks is 0.5 MPH. The fastest speed depends on the models, some are 2 MPH and some are 4.0 MPH.
However, it’s hard to stay focus when you walk at 2 MPH. If you walking while working, 2 MPH is an appropriate speed.
How long should you walk on a treadmill each day?
You should walk at a moderate pace for at least 30 minutes on a treadmill each day if you don't have any problems with joints and back.
If you are new to exercise or have injured joints or back, 10 to 15 minutes would be enough.
Will 30 minutes on the treadmill help me lose weight?
It depends much on your weight and pace. Commonly, to lose 1 pound you have to consume 3,500 calories.
Which means if you plan to lose 1 pound per week, you have to burn about 500 calories per day. It’s about an hour of walking at moderate pace.
The calories burned indicator on the console can tell you if you’ve reached the goal or not.
Can treadmill burn belly fat?
Yes of course, if you commit to practicing consistently. However, remember that workouts don’t burn belly fat directly, they burn general fat of your body. If you run out of fat in other parts of the body, the fat in your belly will be burned.
That means at first, your belly will show no sign of becoming thinner. However, after 2 or 3 weeks, your belly will lose fat rapidly. So, be patient, walk for 1 hour every day and eat healthy food, you’ll see the result.
How long does it take to lose your stomach on a treadmill?
As said above, walking for 1 hour every day and eat healthy food, you'll see the result after 2 or 3 weeks.
Is it good to go on the treadmill everyday?
Yes. Walking on a treadmill every day is a healthy habit.
However, just don't over exercise - it will hurt your back and knees. If you're not a pro athlete, practice less than 2 hours a day.
Are treadmills bad for your knees?
It's no secret that treadmill exercises can take a toll on your knees. Although the damage caused by walking on a treadmill is much less than by walking outdoors, you still might want a good-build treadmill that can absorb the shock as much as possible.
Above are my full review of best small under desk treadmills for office & home use. Hope that the information in this article will help you find the suitable treadmill desk for you.