To shape muscles and support your strength-training workout within the comfort of your home gym, a set of weights is a must-have. Let’s start alone with the best weight sets for home gym!
Here are the best weight sets for home gym you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Yaheetech Barbell Weight Set YT-00081625
- Most Durable: Xmark Fitness Lumberjack Olympic Weight Set
- Best For Starters: Step Fitness Deluxe Barbell SetF3066
- My Favorite Choice: Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Budget-friendly: Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells
- Best For Beginners: AmazonBasics Adjustable Dumbbells Weight Set
Best Barbell Weight Sets
Best Overall: Yaheetech Barbell Weight Set YT-00081625
- Sturdy and durable to use
- Ideal addition to any home and gym
- Suitable for strength exercises to develop your body pumper, leg, hip & back power
- Comfortable and steady to hold
- Low capacity
For a well-built bar which is almost virtually identical to any piece seen at a local or professionally set up gym, the Yaheetech Barbell Weight Set YT-00081625 is hard to bear.
These barbells have the “Olympic” in their name because they weigh approximately 57lbs - the standard bar weight that Olympic weightlifters use.
So, with the detachable bar and adjustable plates weighing from 5kg (11lb) to 20kg (44lb) in hand, weight-lifters can take a test to develop your leg, hip & back power and gain some strength.
Were not for the low capacity – only 55lbs, the Yaheetech Barbell Weight Set YT-00081625 could be a perfect choice.
|Yaheetech Barbell Weight Set YT-00081625 Specifications|
47.2 x 10.2 x 10.2 inches
Iron & Plastic
Detachable bar built with W-shaped handle
2 Spinlock collars
Adjust barbell weight from 5Kg (11lb) to 20Kg (44lb)
For a comfortable lifting experience, the Yaheetech Barbell Weight Set YT-00081625 is a way to go.
Most Durable: Xmark Fitness Lumberjack Olympic Weight Set
- Easy to load, unload, and handle
- A high-quality shaft coating adds to the longevity of the bar
- Crafted using a high-quality alloy steel
- Built for performance
- Perfect for both CrossFit training & Olympic training
- Collars not included
- Strong rubber smell
This product by XMark Fitness is an incredibly budget-friendly Olympic barbell, though you have to pay more for a set with weight plates included. For its price tag, expect neither the premium quality nor the unit that can lift up to thousands of pounds on it! However, the Lumberjack is a worth investment for beginners looking for their very first Olympic bar.
Compared to other models at the same price range, the Lumberjack with the Texas tough, premium rubber casing can maintain its shape well and might be dropped without any bearing breaking and destroying.
What seems to be a matter is the strong rubber smell and the fact that collars are not included in the package.
|Xmark Fitness Lumberjack Olympic Weight Set Specifications|
Black Manganese Phosphate
TEXAS STAR Olympic plate weight's recessed 5 grip handles
Pro-grip knurling and Texas tough
Premium rubber casing.
Whether it is for CrossFit training or Olympic training, the XMark Fitness Lumberjack Olympic Bar and Optional Texas Star Plate will make you satisfied.
Best For Starters: Step Fitness Deluxe Barbell SetF3066
- User-friendly and environmentally-friendly
- Built to last
- Provide resistance and durability
- Easy to hold
- Offer expanded exercise options
- You will get only 4 sets of bumper plates
The Step Fitness Deluxe Barbell Set F3066 has a ton going for it. With four pairs of plates sized XS, S, M, L, totaling a weight of 60lbs, it offers an easy yet efficient first step into the world of strength training, especially for seniors and women.
Unlike most other weight sets available on the market, these weights are manufactured like steering wheels with various grips making it easier to hold even if you have never picked up dumbbells before.
Only 4 sets of bumper plates included mean that you have to purchase additional weights for a more serious workout. Considering that this unit is designed with beginners in mind, there is not much to complain about.
|Step Fitness Deluxe Barbell SetF3066 Specifications|
31.9 x 11.9 x 4.1 inches
Heavy gauge steel
54” long 3-piece threaded bar
Steering wheels with multiple grips
You want to shape your muscles, but don’t want to look like Batman? Go with the Step Fitness Deluxe Barbell SetF3066.
Best Dumbbell Weight Sets
My Favorite Choice: Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Combine 15 sets of weights into one
- Smartly designed
- Easy to hold and use
I really love the versatility of these adjustable dumbbells by Bowflex. You definitely can’t go wrong adding the Bowflex SelectTech 552 to your home gym.
With 15 different weight increments and being adjustable in 2.5lb increments up to the first 25lbs, it eliminates the need for 30 different dumbbells cluttering your indoor workout space
Other user-friendly additions are the included stands & dumbbell tray as well as the distinctive dial system making it effortless to switch the weight. Moreover, the nicely rounded shape and high-quality rubber handles ensuring a better grip give you pleasure when using them.
Though Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells are not the cheapest one out there, it’s a worth-buying option for all abilities.
|Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells Specifications|
5 to 52.5 lbs (2.27 to 23.8 kg) for each dumbbell
15.75 x 8 x 9 inches
A unique dial system
Download free Bowflex SelectTech App
15 different increments
A pair of dumbbell trays included.
If you are craving the compactness and convenience of an adjustable dumbbell set, the Bowflex SelectTech 552 is the right answer.
Budget-friendly: Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells
- Constructed from high-quality materials
- Ensure secure, firm, and non-slip grip for a secure fit
- Stylish old-school design
- Easy to grip with good knurling
- Seamless to use
- Boring design
This unit by Yes4All is another relatively no-nonsense set of adjustable dumbbells.
Along with four collar handles, this set also features various weight plates. There are sixteen 5lb plates, four 2.5lb plates, four 1.25lb plates, allowing you to create loads ranging from 40, 50, 52.5, 60, and 105 to 200 (including the handles). This variety is suitable to cater for both newbies and more seasoned weightlifters.
With cast iron weight plates fit 1. 15-Inch standard bar and textured chrome handle with knurled grips, the Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells are rugged and durable enough to work for many years to come.
Though it might not as stylish as other adjustable pairs out there, neither does it come with a high price tag!
|Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells Specifications|
1.25 to 52.5 lbs for each dumbbell
Textured chrome handle
Additional lifting straps
16-inch diamond knurled chrome handle.
If you don’t want to spend an arm and a leg building your home gym, the Yes4All Adjustable Dumbbells are a second-to-none option.
Best For Beginners: AmazonBasics Adjustable Dumbbells Weight Set
- Great for creating a custom workout at home
- Comfortable to hold
- Ensure rust- and maintenance-free use
- Backed by an AmazonBasics limited one-year warranty
- Not great for sports-specific athletes and isolation exercises
Made by AmazonBasics, this first set is solid with no extra frills. It comes with two barbells (3lbs each), total weight of 38lbs, and four twist-on stoppers (.5 pounds each) to keep the weights in place, which are much better than a lot of other low-priced plastic ones.
This set has a simple, sleek design and is not the best choice for sports specific athletes and isolation exercises, which is reflected in its moderate price. Instead of stylish weight plates or fancy finishes, you will pay for durable metal plates with the semi-gloss finish to start making gains.
|AmazonBasics Adjustable Dumbbells Weight Set Specifications|
2.5 to 52.5 lbs for each dumbbell
17.1 x 6.2 x 9.5 inches
Durable metal plates with the semi-gloss finish
Rugged PP plastic carrying case.
AmazonBasics Adjustable Dumbbells Weight Set is the best entry-level option.
How To Choose The Best Weight Sets For Home Gym?
Adjustable vs. Fixed Weights
- Whether they are barbells or dumbbells, there are fixed weight versions where each unit weights a fixed amount and adjustable weight versions which allow you to get your desired weight.
- The latter is more convenient to use as all plates you buy can be used for both barbells and dumbbells, meaning that you can get a lot more bang for your buck. If you’ve got a fixed weight 50lb dumbbell set, an entirely new dumbbell set is needed to lift something heavier. Meanwhile, those having adjustable weights just have to add on an extra 3lb, 5lb, or 10lb plate for heavier duty.
- On searching for the best weight set for a home gym, its size is an important feature to consider. While you have no difficulty storing barbell plates, the long bar might not be retractable and it might take a while for clean-up. With a suitable storage rack, dumbbell and barbell weight sets can occupy less space, but you might be sacrificing a more versatile workout.
- As most home gymers want to bulk up with their weight and strength training, they will require heavier weights as their muscles grow. Make sure that your dumbbell or barbell weight sets have the maximum capacity to manage the weight amount you want to lift.
- Whether you are a newbie who’s just started out or an experienced weight-lifter who’s expecting a more challenging workout, you need the right kind of weight set with the right size for your needs.
- Note that, while dumbbell weight sets are ideal for beginners, barbell weight sets that deliver more versatility for a more powerful workout are better for seasoned gymers. However, you can use both of them for the same exercises.
Which Brands Make The Best Weight Sets For Home Gym?
- Bowflex is an innovator in all home gym categories and started marketing its products since 1986. The Bowflex SelectTech line is among the most quoted and best-selling weight sets of all time.
- The Yaheetech name is gradually permeating the fitness world, with the innovative Brooklyn-based manufacturer proving experts in everything from abdominal exercisers to strength training equipment and other fitness accessories. So, they easily manage to impress gymers when it comes to high-quality weight sets.
- XMark Fitness is a reliable fitness equipment brand that supplies not only new but also reconditioned equipment. From bars, benches, free weights, and power towers to Cross Training equipment, it offers excellent products at a comparative price.
What is the best equipment for a home gym?
Aside from a weight set, your home gym should also have:
Medicine Ball Set
Pushup Stand &Pull-up Frame and Bar
Is a home gym better than a gym?
One of the biggest advantages of having a gym membership is that you take advantage of a lot of exercise equipment, thus easily getting a full-body workout.
Though you might get bored or lonely at times when exercising at your home, having your own home gym means that you can exercise whenever you have free time.
How much weight should I lift for a beginner?
While it’s better to lift incredibly heavy for from 2 to 6 sets of 6 reps to develop your maximum strength, to build your muscle size, you should lift heavy-to-moderate weights for approximately 3–6 sets of at least 8 reps.
Will 3-pound weights tone my arms?
There is no need to lift heavy weights for toning your arms. To look sexier in a halter dress, 3lb weights are sufficient to tone your forearms, shoulders, biceps, and triceps.
Now that you’ve got an idea of what to expect at a weight lifting set and the best weight sets for home gym available on the market, it’s high time to complete your home gym and achieve your fitness goals.