Are you a workout enthusiast who wants to find a good magnetic rowing machine worth your money? If that, this article has the answer.
We do a complete research and pick all the best ones. Check them right now!
Here are the best magnetic rowing machines:
- Best Overall: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515
- Runner-Up: Marcy Foldable NS-40503RW
- Best Budget: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5622
- Great Value: Velocity Exercise Rower
- Premium Choice: Stamina Avari Programmable Exercise Rower
|Best Magnetic Rowing Machines|
| Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515||Read Our Review|
| Marcy Foldable NS-40503RW||Read Our Review|
| Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5622||Read Our Review|
| Velocity Exercise Rower||Read Our Review|
| Stamina Avari Programmable Exercise Rower||Read Our Review|
Top 5 Best Magnetic Rowing Machines
Best Overall: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515
- The LCD display is useful and easy to operate
- Eight levels of resistance are available
- Reasonably priced
- Lightweight and compact
- Built-in wheels for easy transport
- Short warranty period
- The seat lacks cushion
The Sunny SF-RW5515 is one of the most affordable rowers in the market. I consider it my best choice for numerous reasons.
My first encounter with Sunny SF-RW5515 is quite pleasant. I fall in love with the design. Both folded and assembled dimensions are reasonable. This rower is not as space consuming as its cousins from Sunny.
What’s more, it is lightweight, so that you can transport it with ease. The installation is super easy. The foam handles are gentle with your fingers. You are less likely to experience blisters after an hour of continuously gripping.
The rowing machine comes with LCD. It shows time, calories burned and the total count. This is a great plus since it helps you keep track of your workout goal. There are eight levels of resistance available.
The user rating is roughly 250 lbs. The side rail is made of steel, so it is quite heavy. However, it is a durable and reliable material.
Folded: 37 x 19 x 53.5 inches
Level of resistance
LCD console displays time, count, calories.
As for a decently priced rowing machine, the Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine SF-RW5515 is a reasonable choice for workout beginners.
Runner-Up: Marcy Foldable NS-40503RW
- Multi-angle foldable display
- Reasonably priced
- Six preset programs
- Can accommodate different feet sizes
- The beam isn’t suitable for users over 6-foot height
The Marcy Foldable NS-40503RW is the third manual magnetic rowing machine I want to introduce. This item comes with the highest user rating so far. It can bear up to 300 lbs.
The NS-40503RW is an excellent choice for those who love the basic design. This rowing machine is exceptionally affordable. If you are on a tight budget, I strongly suggest you give this item a try.
The seat lacks cushion just like most low-cost products. However, it indeed supplies enough support for your training. One thing is that the beam is quite short for users of over 6-foot height.
The footrests are the highlight of this product. It accommodates different feet sizes with the help of velcro straps. From my experience, you should clean the straps once in a while to make sure they function flawlessly.
The fully-padded handles prevent any possibilities to get blisters after training. The magnetic resistance in this model is sufficient enough for beginners and moderate users.
The multi-angle display can be folded backward and forwards.
Folded: 74 x 20 x 46 inches
Level of resistance
LCD multi-angle display
The Marcy Foldable NS-40503RW rower is indeed a product of value. It is reasonably priced and packed with different features for primary and moderate users.
Best Budget: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5622
- Dual function plates allow users to choose a suitable training position
- Lightweight, easy to transport
- Anti-slip foot pedals
- Suitable for beginners
- Instruction for assembly is unclear
The second item happens to come from the same manufacturer, Sunny Health & Fitness. This brand is so far my top picked supplier for fitness equipment.
Unlike its cousin above, the SF-RW5622 features dual function plates. This allows you to work your body in different positions: traditional and stand-up. This way, a lot of muscles and various body parts involved in the training, such as shoulders, biceps, and back.
You don’t just burn fat; you build up a strong cardiovascular as well. The tension level is adjustable. You can choose to work at the beginning level or increase the challenge. The LCD monitor is brilliant.
It tells you about the training time, calories counts, and so on. The LCD keeps you motivated and helps you understand your own pace.
The design is also on point. It weighs 63 lbs and features a wheel kit, which is perfect for transportation.
What I like the most are probably the padded seat and anti-slip foot pedals. These two features ensure your comfort while rocking your abs.
I would say the SF-RW5622 is more suitable for beginners rather than experienced users. The highest level of resistance is still weak reported by some users.
Folded: 32 x 21 x 49.5 inches
Assembled 72 x 21 x 18.5 inches
Level of resistance
Dual functions, LCD monitor
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5622 guarantees to turn your hours of training into a sweet result.
Great Value: Velocity Exercise Magnetic Rower
- Generous warranty: 5 years on frame
- Molded seat for perfect comfort and support
- Mid-priced product
- Useful LCD
- Only suitable for users below 6 ft
Last but not least, the Velocity Exercise magnetic rower is a mid-priced choice for those who love programmable rowers.
The LCD of Velocity is very active. It delivers power information besides calories burned and time such as rowing time, distance covered. What’s more, the item includes a heart-rate receiver, telling you precisely in which condition your body is.
This rower offers 12 programs with six pre-set and one manual. It comes with the Drum Magnetic Control System. The system together with electronic tension monitor allows users to adjust the resistance level as they want.
The seat is molded, giving utmost comfort for long training hours. The anodized aluminum trail promises to deliver reliable performance. Due to the limit length, this rower is only suitable for those below 6 ft.
Folded: 25.2 x 80.3 x 20.1 inches
Assembled: 80 L x 20 W x 29 H inches
Built-in heart rate receiver, time, count, strokes per minute
The Velocity Exercise magnetic rower is worth every single penny you pay. Its sturdy built and stable performance will satisfy even the most demanding users.
- Suitable for everybody regardless of their height
- Deliver utmost training comfort with foam padded handles and foot plates with straps
- Features Heat rate monitor
- Strong Steel construction
If you are looking for a premium rowing machine that helps you work up different parts in your body, this is it. The Avari Programmable magnetic rower should be in your shopping list for various reasons.
I love the steel construction of this model. It is durable and sturdy. If you place the machine inside your house, you will never worry it will rust. The rowing motion is one of the best experiences I have ever had.
The magnetic resistance is sturdy and adjustable, which has a substantial positive effect on your muscles’ training and fat reducing. The model comes with an LCD. It even features a heart rate monitor to ensure that you don’t overtrain yourself.
What to complain about this rowing machine? So far none!
The Stamina Avari is suitable for almost everybody regardless of their height. The foam-padded handles and foot plates with straps guarantee enjoyable working hours. The molded seat provides sufficient cushion and support.
Out of its 12 workout programs, four are customized by users.
Folded: 36 x 20 x 53.5 inches
Backlit InTouch® Fitness LCD monitor, purse strap
Overall, I have to say the Stamina Avari is my premium choice. When comfort and features outweigh the cost, this product should come right in your mind.
How To Choose An Excellent Magnetic Rowing Machine?
If you want to buy a rowing machine that works, you need to consider a few things below:
- Compared to other exercise equipment, rowing machines can deal with significant user weights. User rating is the maximum weight a rowing machine can handle. Typically, the user rating is around 220 to 297 lbs.
Type of resistance
- There are four prominent types of resistance in a rowing machine.
- Water resistance: Rowers with water resistance are quite expensive. These items are best for those who want to experience the simulation of rowing on a lake. This type of resistance is certainly for immediate or advanced users.
- Magnetic resistance: Machines using this type of resistance work based on the principle of electromagnets. They feature moveable seats, providing comfort to users. Though any users can use magnetic resistance, I think this type is a great choice for beginners.
- Hydraulic-piston resistance: Machines with piston/ hydraulic resistance focus on the arms and legs of users. They are prevalent and inexpensive types. Hydraulic-piston resistance is only for beginners and immediate users.
- Air resistance: Rowers use the body weight principle in which the level of resistant is generated based on users’ speed. It is quite easy to take care of but tends to be space-consuming. This type is suitable for users of all fitness levels.
- Each type is suitable for different users and practicing purposes. Make sure that you factor it in when buying a new workout machine.
Levels of resistance
- Just like types of resistance, levels of resistance are significant too. If you are beginners, I would suggest buying rowers with different levels of resistance. You could choose up to 8 degrees or more. Various choices will allow you to find your most suitable level.
- As for workout programs, you should also notice how many applications one has to offer.
- The weight of flywheel is in proportional to the smoothness of your workout. Typically, you will see flywheel of 8, 13 to 17 lbs. The heavier it is, the smoother your exercise will become.
- Side rail should be in an appropriate size. If you are tall, you need to choose a machine with a long side rail.
- There are two dimensions of every rower: folded and assembled. You need to consider these specifications because it determines how much space you need. Also, when you fold up the machine, will it be small enough to store?
- Last but not least, you need to see if your soon-to-be rowing machine offers extra features. Things such as LCD displace, front-wheel, foam-covered handles should be a big plus.
- This seems to be the biggest problem for short users. When your legs and back are already stretched and ready to take the catch and the seat fails to reach until the very end of the rail, you are not able to form a horizontal position. This will likely cause injuries.
- You should also think about this when shopping for your rowing machine. Make sure that your drive position will bring you to the end of the side rail.
Best Rowing Machine Brands
- Velocity has earned its prestige through the mid-range products. The line of products focusing on magnetic resistance is probably the most famous one on the market.
- Velocity adopts simple design. Most of their products are less space-consuming compared to other brands.
- Stamina Avari has been around the market since 1987. They have worked with sporting centers, fitness coaches. It has also developed a reliable network of loyal customers through the years.
- Stamina Avari’s products are easy to use, body-friendly and affordable. If you are after hi-quality, rowing machines from Stamina Avari should be in your list.
- Marcy is a legendary brand, founded by Walter Marcyan in 1959. The motto of Marcy is to bring equal opportunity to everyone, especially those who can’t go to the gym.
- Marcy develops professional workout equipment for home use. Their products are affordable and easy to operate.
Sunny Health & Fitness
- Sunny Health & Fitness is, without doubts, one of the most reliable manufacturers for fitness equipment. With over 15 years of experience, this company has helped millions achieve their health goals.
- Products from Sunny Health & Fitness are varied regarding price and designs. Customers certainly can find their suitable equipment with ease.
Can you lose belly fat on a rowing machine?
Rowing exercise is well-known for working the upper body and core, rather than the lower part. It seems that training with a rowing machine does no good to your belly fat.
This is wrong!
Abdominal fat increases your encounter with Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure and so on. To get rid of this fat, you need to train yourself regularly. Rowing machine, fortunately, helps you with this problem.
Instead of targeting belly fat, rowing exercise helps to reduce fat overall. Your belly is no exception. Research shows that 60 minutes of rowing session will burn up to 850 calories.
If you keep up with a healthy diet and regular exercise, a flat tummy will not be an unachievable dream.
Are air rowers better than magnetic?
It is hard to say whether air rowers are better than magnetic. Each type is designed for specific purposes and different users.
Air rowers, as the name suggests, use “wind” to create force or resistance. The faster you row, the quicker the flywheel moves, creating significant drag. These items come with air controlling unit, which allows users to choose their resistant level.
Magnetic rowing machines offer similar benefits as air rowers. However, the resistance operation is decided by the magnetic force. Here comes one big difference.
The resistance level of a magnetic machine remains unchanged regardless of its scale. Whereas, air rowers’ resistance is varied according to the setting.
That being said, magnetic machines are more suitable for beginners. If you are experienced users, or who want to work intensively, air rowers will make a better choice.
How long should you work out on a rowing machine?
I guess you don’t buy a rowing machine for fun. You want to utilize it for your body fitness and health. Let’s assume that you already have a goal to reduce body weight.
The task is now to decide how long you should spend on a rowing machine. I can always give you an estimated time; however, the answer is very personal.
First, you need to be realistic with your goal. How much weight do you want to lose and for how long? I would write down something like this. “I want to lose about 10 lbs in 1.5 months.”
Next, you need to determine how many calories you can burn within the time frame. For each lb, there are 3,500 calories. As a result, each week, you need to lose at least 5,800 calories.
If you divide that for seven days, you will have to burn 833 calories per day. The rowing machine can help you burn 500 calories within 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on your health factors.
A healthy diet can reduce the rest.
Will a rowing machine help flatten your stomach?
Rowing machines, though don’t focus on the middle section, can provide significant help to this area. Working with rowers, you attempt to burn the whole body fat.
Rowing exercises are abs- beneficial since it engages your core and makes your body do the work. You will not get a chance to see your abs until all the fat is removed.
Rowing machines are the most versatile equipment for both professional and home use. To choose the best magnetic rowing machine that won’t break your bank, you will need more than just a few days of researching.
However, I do hope that this article will be an invaluable source for your preferences and choice.