Running shoes usually do not last for a long time. It is because the material providing breathability, comfort, and flexibility is not so durable. However, some shoes made of top-notch material could last for more than a year.
Here are the most durable running shoes you can buy in 2023:
- Best Overall: Under Armour Men's Charged Assert 8
- Best For Long Distance: Brooks Mens Ghost 12
- Best For Narrow Feet: Adidas Men's Ultraboost 19
- Best Overall: ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 25
- Best For Pronation Sufferers: Saucony Women's Guide Iso 2
- Best For Trail Running: HOKA ONE ONE Women's Challenger ATR 4 Trail
|Top 6 Most Durable Running Shoes|
|Under Armour Men's Charged Assert 8||Read Our Review|
Best For Long Distance
|Brooks Mens Ghost 12||Read Our Review|
Best For Narrow Feet
|Adidas Men's Ultraboost 19||Read Our Review|
|ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 25||Read Our Review|
Best For Pronation Sufferers
|Saucony Women's Guide Iso 2||Read Our Review|
Best For Trail Running
|HOKA ONE ONE Women's Challenger ATR 4 Trail||Read Our Review|
Men’s Running Shoes
Men have different needs for running, so they need a different type of running shoes. First, it's the shape of the shoe. Men's running shoes tend to be wider in the heel and narrower in the forefoot and toe. Second, it's the midsole material. Men's weight is above women's weight about 30 lbs, therefore, the midsole of men's shoes tend to be designed to sustain more weight. Third, shoes commonly have flex grooves at the forefront of the outsole. Since women are much lighter, these grooves of women's shoes tend to be deeper to make it easier to flex the midsole.
Best Overall: Under Armour Men's Charged Assert 8
- Comfortable construction with high-quality materials
- Supports each step with responsiveness
- Nice versatile look that fits many occasions
- The upper is not so comfortable
Under Armour Charged Assert 8 is my pick for the best overall running shoes for man. It’s lightweight, about 281g, with a medium forefoot and a medium-wide heel. The shoes fit almost men’s feet and are very comfortable even if you wear them all day.
The midsole is made of foam, which is both plush and durable, providing each step with responsiveness. Midsole drop is about 10mm, a standard drop, directing more stress to knees and hips, so reducing stress on feet, ankles, and calves. The outsole is made of solid rubber. It is thick enough to give you a balanced feel of flexibility and cushioning. A neutral runner would love this.
The upper sole is made of mesh, which is net-like material, keeping the shoes being stable, aesthetic, and breathable. However, some report that the upper sole rubs against the toes, making them hurt after long hours of running.
Moreover, Under Armour Charged Assert 8 has a casual look that fits a wide range of occasions. It is also very affordable. All make this the best pair of running shoes for men.
|Under Armour Men's Charged Assert 8 Specifications|
281g (9.91 oz)
10mm (3/8 Inch)
Under Armour Men's Charged Assert 8 is comfortable, responsive, good-looking, yet affordable.
Best For Long Distance: Brooks Mens Ghost 12
- Balanced, soft cushioning bottom sole
- Smooth, stable, responsive run
- Soft, secure, fit upper sole
- 12mm of midsole drop
- Great at dispersing heat
- Bland and boring look
Brooks Mens Ghost 12 has all you need for a long run/joggings. The midsole and outsole are designed to bring both flexibility and cushioning. The outsole is made of blown rubber with deep grooves providing a firm grip, ideal for road running, cross-training, or the gym. The heel part is separated from the mid and forefront part so that the impact forces are segregated and reduced.
The midsole features two technologies, BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning. They provide you with comfort and plush without losing responsiveness and durability.
The upper sole is made of engineered mesh. It is soft, secure and perfectly hugs your foot. It is also great at dispersing heat, which makes all-day joggings so comfortable. Brooks Mens Ghost 12 has 12mm of midsole drop, more drop means more supported step.
The only drawback of Brooks Mens Ghost 12 is that the bland and boring look. This might not the shoes you want to wear when going to a party or formal events.
|Brooks Mens Ghost 12 Specifications|
295g (10.4 oz)
12 mm (1/2 Inch)
19mm (3/4 Inch)
Brooks Mens Ghost 12 provides you with high energizing cushioning, ideal for long-distance.
Best For Narrow Feet: Adidas Men's Ultraboost 19
- Superb quality, 100% Textile/Synthetics
- Responsive with an adaptive upper
- Reactive underfoot platform for long-distance and speed training
- Appealing look, fits any events
- High price
Adidas Men's Ultraboost 19 is a superb pair of running shoes. It is made of 100% Textile/Synthetics with rubber sole. The outsole is made of Continental™ rubber, a car tire material that absorbs the shock and resists the abrasion from asphalt. The midsole is called Boost™. This small piece is made from thousands of thermoplastic polyurethane pellets (TPUs), providing you with a bouncy yet impact-resistant structure. This bottom platform is energizing cushioning, pretty responsive. You’ll feel it every step.
The upper sole is made of interwoven construction textiles, called Primeknit 360. It is adaptive so that can easily fit narrow feet. It is also breathable for comfortable all-day joggings. Moreover, it is tender and pretty easy on your feet’s skin.
Adidas Men's Ultraboost 19 is suitable for both long-distance and speed training. The shoes also look very nice, which can fit a wide range of occasions, from informal parties to formal meetings.
|Adidas Men's Ultraboost 19 Specifications|
309g (10.9 oz)
10mm (3/8 Inch)
19mm (3/4 Inch)
Primeknit 360 (Textile/Synthetics)
Arch type: Normal
Adidas Men's Ultraboost 19 is a premium choice for both long-distance and speed training.
Women’s Running Shoe
As said above, women’s running shoes tend to be narrower in the heel and wider in the forefoot and toe. Since most women are lighter than men, so the midsole and outsole of women’s running shoes tend to be thinner and lighter. This is an advantage because it makes the shoes more flexible.
Best Overall: ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 25
- Comfortable to wear for long hours
- Appealing look in diverse color options
- Stable, cushioning, and responsive
- Suitable for a wide range of events
- Heel to toe drop might be too high
ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 25 is a superb pair of running shoes, I’m pretty sure about that. It has an appealing design that comes in many color options. It fits a wide range of occasions, from casual walks, gym workouts or hangouts with friends.
The outsole is made of rubber, which is super durable. The sponge-like structure makes the shoes lighter, more flexible, as well as able to absorb the shock and resist the abrasion from asphalt. The midsole is made of silicone-based gel, which is famous for its shock-absorbing capability and responsiveness. The upper sole is made of mesh, which is stretchable, for both comfort and breathability. You can wear the shoes all day without feeling humid or hurt.
However, there is one thing you might need to be aware of, which is the midsole drop. It’s 13mm, a little high that might cause heel blister and ankle pain to some (a shoe with a high midsole drop is like a high heel).
|ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 25 Specifications|
278g (9.28 oz)
13mm (½ inch)
11mm (7/16 Inch)
13mm midsole drop
ASICS Women's Gel-Kayano 25 is a stable, cushioning, and responsive pair of running shoes.
Best For Pronation Sufferers: Saucony Women's Guide Iso 2
- Super easy and comfortable on your ankles
- Form-fit performance contoured footbed
- Topsole construction enhances energy return
- Young, stylish and active look
- The forefoot might be too narrow and the heel might be too wide for women
Saucony Women's Guide Iso 2 is around the best that gives you great in-shoe feel. The shoe construction has stability, durability, and flexibility. The footbed contours around your foot so that it fully supports your foot. That, along with the midsole drop only 8mm, is super easy on your ankles. Saucony Women's Guide Iso 2 is a great choice for pronation sufferers.
Topsole construction enhances energy return. It features the ISOFIT foot-hugging design, which is ISO EVERUN certified to give you a secure yet plush feel per step.
Moreover, this pair of shoes has a stylish and active look. It is also very affordable. However, some report that the forefoot might be too narrow and the heel might be too wide for women.
|Saucony Women's Guide Iso 2 Specifications|
255g (9 oz)
8mm (5/16 Inch)
19mm (3/4 Inch)
Saucony Women's Guide Iso 2 is the best stability running shoes for overpronation.
Best For Trail Running: HOKA ONE ONE Women's Challenger ATR 4 Trail
- Dual-layer top mesh & Extended toe-cap coverage
- Internal heel counter
- Oversize EVA midsole
- Appealing look
- Shock-absorbing capacity is not so good
Running on trail, you’ll need shoes that grip on rugged terrain, fully protect your feet, and have a stiff construction. ATR 4 Trail has all those features. It has a Full Ground Contact construction for the outsole, helping you with surface control. It grips perfectly even on dirt road.
The upper unit is the most impressive feature. It is made of a dual-layer mesh, along with extended toe-cap coverage, giving you support, durability, and breathability. It protects you from debris and scratches. It also has an internal heel counter that keeps your feet in place, preventing your feet from twisting or exiting the shoes.
The Oversize EVA midsole provides you with lightweight cushioning and energized support for each step. Moreover, the shoes have an appealing look.
However, since ATR 4 Trail is designed for trail running, it is not so good at absorbing the shock when you run on road.
|HOKA ONE ONE Women's Challenger ATR 4 Trail Specifications|
210g (7.4 oz)
5mm (3/16 Inch)
26mm (1 inch)
ATR 4 Trail has all the features you need for a good and safe trail running.
How To Choose The Most Durable Running Shoes?
- First, you’ll need to answer the question “where do you run?” Running on road requires a different type of shoes from running on trail. For road running, you’ll need shoes that absorb the shock well and are resistant to abrasion from asphalt. For trail running, you’ll need shoes that that grip on rugged terrain, fully protect your feet, and have a stiff construction.
- You’ll want your shoes to fit your feet comfortably, also the shoes should be adaptive and breathable in the upper unit and responsive in the bottom.
Which Brands Make The Most Durable Running Shoes?
- Under Armour is an American company making shoes, clothes, sports equipment, and other accessories. They were founded for more than 20 years and now have been a worldwide famous brand. The advantage of Under Armour is the quality coming together with affordability. They also have a worldwide network of retailers and customer services.
- Adidas, of course, is one of the best quality sports brands. From casual runners to professional athletics athletes, all highly appreciate the quality of Adidas. They are one of the best, if not number one, who make high-quality, comfortable, supporting, and durable running shoes. However, their price is not so comfortable.
- Asics is a Japanese brand, founded in 1949. In 2019, they were selected as a component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Asia/Pacific Index for the fourth time, which shows that Asics is not only a big cooperate in revenue but also a socially responsible company. When ti comes to Asics, you are assured of high-quality running shoes with great durability.
Are skate shoes good for running?
I do not recommend so since skate shoes do not provide you with enough flexibility and cushioning. It’d better wear running shoes for running.
How long should running shoes last?
It depends on how much you run. Regular running shoes should be replaced when reaching 500 miles of running for the best quality. This means, if you run 20 miles per week, you should replace your shoes after 6 months.
Are mesh shoes durable?
Mesh is not a durable material. However, it is the best choice for running shoes as it is comfortable and breathable.
Is mesh material good for shoes?
Yes. Mesh is the to-go material for shoes since it has comfortability and breathability. It is not so durable, however, for the sake of running, mesh is the best choice.
What shoe material is waterproof?
Waterproof is not usually a desired feature on a running shoe since it will make your shoes less breathable. However, if you really want it, GORE-TEX is the most common waterproof material used for running shoes.
Under Armour Assert 8 is the best for men, ASICS Gel-Kayano 25 is the best for women. For more specified needs, you can consider other shoes on my list above.